Jan 9, 2012

HAPPY New Year!

Well, I wasn't so good at keeping up with this blog.  Maybe I'll be better about it.  It could be a useful tool in marathon training.  With the new year, I started a runner's log (thanks to Susan! to keep track of my runs--it has kept me pretty well disciplined, having something tangible to keep track of my runs.  As the picture shows, I also treated myself to a Garmin Forerunner 210, which I am pretty sure is my favorite toy right now!  I think I'll use the blog to go into more detail than the small space in my runner's log allows.

I didn't do too shabby for the first week of 2012.  I didn't get out every day, but I still logged over 35 miles.  I have been pulling out 6-7 miles pretty easily lately, so I think I am going to try to convince my Saturday morning group to up our usual 8 miles to 10-12.  If they aren't down for it, I'll have to be on my own.  The Glass City Marathon is only 15 weeks away!  Krista needs big miles!


As promised, I'm going to keep on posting about yummy food.  This evening I made a pretty good pizza--roasted red pepper, spinach, and goat cheese.  Although I'm familiar with the consistency of goat cheese, for some reason I expected it to melt down a bit, so I left a lot of room around the edges.  Ingredients and prep as follow:

1 12-inch Meijer thin pizza crust (yeah yeah, judge me for not doing dough from scratch)
1 red bell pepper, roasted, skin removed, and chopped
5 leaves fresh baby spinach, chopped
1/4 cup goat cheese
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T dried basil
1 T dried oregano
1 t garlic powder

Preheat oven to 375.  Drizzle the EVOO over the crust, top with dried herbs and garlic powder.  Throw on the veggies.  Spoon on the goat cheese.  Pop into the oven on a pizza stone for 7 minutes.  Remove, spread the cheese, and enjoy!

It was REALLY yummy and it's quite the challenge to not eat the entire pizza.  Alas, I am trying to save half of it for Joe when he returns from class.

Last night we made an old Crnobrnjabalwinski classic: tofu stir fry.  Usually, Joe is in control of that dish and he's really good at it, but he was busy yesterday evening choosing the right Professional Engineer stamp and completing a nano block model, so I took charge.  To make sure I'd do everything right, I had his verbal guidance throughout the process.  It was REALLY good, but did not sit well with me this morning.  I think that's because I threw on some Sriracha sauce, and I'm not talking just a little bit.  Do I regret eating it?  Of course not!

I took today off of running.  This morning when I got up at 4:30, I just wasn't feeling right.  I hit the snooze (which I normally don't do on running mornings), and after my extra 10 minutes I found that my running gear was still damp from washing yesterday.  That combined with my uneasy feeling led me to the decision to pass up the run this morning.  I stayed awake and then around 6:00, some nasty things were happening, so I took a sick day.  That was definitely a good decision, as this morning was pretty eventful for my digestive system.  I thought I might feel up to running this evening, but I have been sorta lethargic, so I'm saving my legs for tomorrow morning.  My clothes are dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment