Feb 25, 2012

Gearin' up

What you wear says a lot about you.  The clothes that I wear to work and in my free time out in public are colorful, simply detailed, and always well-pressed.  I never wear sweatpants out in public--not even if I am sick and just running out for Nyquil.  I feel slightly gross on the rare occasion that I wear sneakers instead of boots or ballet flats out of the house.  I care about what people think of me when they see me in that I'd rather they see a well-dressed lady than one that is frump-tastic.

Of course, I slightly break my personal fashion norms when it's time to run OR if I need to run into the store for a Gatorade immediately after a run.  Nevertheless, as all runners know, the proper running gear is crucial to performance.  There are rules.

Wear a hat to keep sun and precipitation out of your eyes.
A headband will keep your ears warm and hair out of your face.
Shirts, sports bras, and socks must be moisture-wicking to maintain a good body temperature and comfort.
Shoes need to be a size to a size and a half bigger than where you measure for all of that delightful foot-swelling.
Tights shouldn't fall down.  Pants shouldn't tangle up your feet.

And what's super cool about running apparel?  Tech gear doesn't need to be fugly.  In fact, most of it is really stinkin' cute and comfortable.  Here are a few of my go-tos this winter:

Nike Element Shield Jacket: A good jacket isn't going to be a small investment, especially if it's something you're likely going to wear for every run.  This Nike jacket is incredibly lightweight, but has some crazy thermal fabric.  I try to only wear it if the temperature is below 30 degrees--otherwise it gets to be a little too warm, even if it's just layered over a tee.  It's got a small zipper pocket in the back and reflective details on the front, back, and sleeves that are as bright as a camera flash.  The best feature, though?  In addition to thumb holes, the jacket as built-in mittens, so you don't need to wear gloves that you'll inevitably want to take off a mile into your run.

Nike Miler Running Shirt: It's a really basic wicking tee with reflective accents on the front, back, and sleeves.  Really light and comfortable.

GapFit gFast Leggings:  This is the only pair of running tights I've worn, but I've had them since October, wear and wash them at least twice per week, and they are still holding up like brand new.  There's a small zipper pocket on the back.  If you get these, do not go a size up for any reason.  I made that mistake and after the first mile of running, I usually have to readjust and yank them up--they don't fall off of my butt, but the crotch tries to slide down and it can be really annoying.  That's my own fault, though.  The only reflective accent is up along the really thick waste band (I love thick waste bands because they are way more comfortable than the nasty elastic bands that leave a bunch of ugly creases in your skin), so it serves no purpose unless you're a shirtless runner.  Still, awesome tights, lightweight, wicking, AND they are usually on promotion for $35.

Balega/Zulu socks:  For the first month or so that I was running, I was wearing my standard Hanes and Target brand low-cut socks.  I was told eventually, though, that those cotton socks are horrible for your feet.  Reluctantly, I bought a $10 pair of socks and have never turned back.  The comfort is ridiculous and the Balegas and Zulus keep your feet sweat-free.  I even wear them around the house just because they feel that good.

Brooks PureFlow: A minimalist shoe that makes your feet feel like they are running on pillows that hug and love your feet.  It takes some getting used to the unusual heel, which, when standing, makes you to feel like you are almost standing on little rocking chairs.  Liked them so much that I'm on my second pair.

What's the moral of the story?  Apparel is important, be it for work, free time, or fitness.  You can definitely rock out the standard cotton t-shirt and sweatpants to go for a run.  But I guarantee that you will look and feel better if you make the switch to actual running gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment