Feb 9, 2012

Marathon training--10.5 weeks out

After a lot of strong encouragement, I am going to try to follow a structured marathon training plan.  I think last week was "Krista, you're worrying us"-week.  I came down with what I thought was a sinus infection on Sunday (1/29).  I had planned to do 8 miles with Becky Monday at 6:00PM, but just before 5:00PM I was struck with the worst pain I've experienced in my life.  It got exciting here, as I had Joe call 9-1-1 after about 30 minutes of hell.  EMTs came.  All of my vitals were really normal (plus, they mentioned that I "definitely" am a runner based off of my heart rate, which made me feel awesome mentally).  I opted to not go to the hospital, the pain subsided temporarily after about an hour, and then it came back twice later that evening.  Haven't felt it since then, but I'm pretty sure it was a kidney stone.

After all of that pain, Tuesday had me feeling like I had the crap kicked out of me, so took a second rest day.  On Wednesday evening I was feeling good and wanted to make up for what I missed, so after work I did almost 11.5 miles.  Thursday was my first real attempt at speed work.  I did the usual Friday and Saturday morning runs, with Saturday cut shorter than my planned 16 miles.  I had been in desperate need of new shoes and on Friday I started feeling some ankle and shin pain in my left leg, so I stopped at 8 miles on Saturday and went over to Dave's for a new pair (same that I was wearing before).  Sunday was shot thanks to wine, Patron, and Mexican food the night before.  Bad idea jeans.  Here are the numbers for 1/30 through 2/5:

Monday: Nada
Tuesday: Zilch
Wednesday: 11.45 miles @ 8:22
Thursday: 3 @ 7:40
Friday: 4.33 @ 9:18
Saturday: 8 @ 9:07
Sunday: Nada
Total: 26.78

I felt kind of defeated with 3 "rest" days in a week, but there was no way I would have made it out Monday and Tuesday I needed to take care of myself.  On Sunday, I paid for it and was actually hungover until Monday evening.

This week has been better.

Monday: 7.05 @ 8:43
Tuesday: 6.02 @ 8:47
Wednesday: 5.71 @ 9:01...not so bueno
Tonight: 3.03 @ 7:34
Projected for
Tomorrow: 5-6
Saturday: 15
Sunday: 8
Goal total: 40ish+

I'm heading out now to do three miles, hoping to do something like the 23:00 three-miler I did last Thursday evening.  I should hit over 40 miles in a week for the first time.  Joe is kicking butt at training for the half.  AND he's way better at pull-ups than I will ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment