Apr 23, 2012

The last month of training

I've been absent from blogging for over a month!  For those who are curious: I fell off of my training plan during the NCAA tournament back in March.  I hadn't planned on needing to adjust my life because, as an Ohio Bobcat, I'm not used to seeing my alma mater's team go deep into the postseason.  They made it to the Sweet Sixteen, so Joe and I couldn't pass up the chance to see them in St. Louis.  While there, I should have done a 12-mile run.  Instead, I did about 7.5 of hills--whodathunk a big city close to the plains would be so rolling?

Everything gets blurry after that.  I had already done all of the long runs, including a 20-miler that was 7.1 "warm-up" miles followed by a half-marathon, which was a PR by about 30 seconds.  I was really proud of that, especially given the unseasonably warm temperatures on race day.  But after the NCAA tournament,  I came down with a nasty cold, cut short my second 20-miler, slacked on mileage in general, and became kinda lethargic.  I may have trained too hard too early, putting in a number of consecutive 45+ mile-weeks.  Whatever I did wrong, I never let it get me down.  I spent the past two weeks incredibly excited to finally run the Glass City Marathon--my first full marathon.  Once I have some race photos, I'll share my entire story of the day before up through crossing that finish line.

Until then, here's a brief summary: It was freaking awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment