Feb 22, 2013

Thwarted!

If I were a pessimist, I would say that I should have known I couldn't get to two consecutive weeks of awesome training.

I felt like a baller after I wrapped up week five of training for CLE. I ran all of my miles, I did Plyo, and I PRed a race.

Maybe I overdid it. Maybe I'm a wuss. Maybe I'm not maintaining awesomeness after all.

Nah, nevermind. I'm still feeling awesome.

I'm definitely disappointed with training this week. After the 25K on Sunday morning, my right hamstring has felt kinda tight. I was going to throw in some impromptu hill repeats on Monday morning, but the federal holiday was a good reason to sleep in (until 6:40 instead of getting up at 5:00) and as much as I told myself "it's nothing," I knew that the discomfort in my leg would have worsened had I run. It wasn't a big deal, since Mondays are non-running days in my training plan.

Monday was a wash.

Tuesday morning came and with it was enough wind to make me and Joe skip skip our 3-mile run and reset the alarm clock. I still had hammy discomfort, and in the evening the weather was still shitty, so we didn't run then, either.

Tuesday miles planned: 3
Ran: 0

We didn't get up to run on Wednesday morning. I can't even remember why, but I'm thinking we just wanted to sleep. Maybe the weather was still crappy. It was a good thing because my leg was still nagging. I promised myself that I'd run 6 miles on Wednesday evening, despite having a 12-hour day at work. I'm not complaining that I had a 12-hour day--just sayin' that it can be difficult. Cracking the whip onto myself, I got home around 7:30 and was out on the pavement at 7:40. I had an awesome 6-miler at 8:05 pace. Back in the game.

Wednesday miles planned: 6
Ran: 6.43

Thursday morning we didn't run because Joe needed to be on the road by 5:45. I guess that I could have run, but I like running with him in the morning 1.) so that I'm not alone in the creepy, dark, quietness of the morning and 2.) I like spending that time with him. After school on Thursday, I was so pooped that when I got home around 4:30, I changed into my pajamas and curled up into bed with the laptop and cats. I almost fell asleep, but at 6:00 I forced myself to get up and run. I did 3 miles at group run. I set out moving kinda quickly, then about a half-mile into the run, my right shoe was untied. For the first time in over a year, I hadn't double-knotted my shoes. I guess that I was that tired. After my pitstop I tried to catch up to where I should have been and ended up passing a guy who used to run with us, so I ran the remaining 2.5 with him. It was really windy, so I ran pretty hard at 7:50 pace. The entire run, my hamstring was really annoyed with me.

Thursday miles planned: 4
Ran: 3

And now it's Friday morning. Although I woke up at 4:30, I didn't run because the weather is miserable; I turned on the TV to see live footage of balls of ice landing on the ground and I want nothing to do with that. Fortunately, we've got a two-hour delay out of it. If this shitty weather keeps up enough to get us a closing for the day, I'm hoping that I can get out this afternoon and run at least 4 miles. That'll make me feel a little less guilty than I already do for the deficit I'm in so far this week. Or maybe I should take the weather as a sign that I need to take it easy because my hamstring is still feeling tight this morning.

We'll see.


Update: ALERT! ALERT!

Those balls of ice falling from the sky resulted in a snow day. I ran 7 miles in celebration. Now I feel less guilty about the 3 and 4-mile runs that I skipped on Tuesday and this morning respectively. Orrrr I can adjust my plan so that today's 7-miler was run in lieu of tomorrow, so tomorrow I'd need to run 10 as planned for Sunday. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment