Mar 12, 2013

17 Miles in the Low Country

My 17-miler took me past this:


And this:


And this:


On the morning of my cousin's wedding, I managed to squeeze in an awesome 17-miler. Before setting out, I doubted that I'd make it the entire 17 miles. I was up late the night before shucking oysters (which I learned that I do like roasted) and drinking bubbly and beer, then I needed to be so fresh and so clean and at the spa  ready to be beautified at 10:00AM. I woke up around 5:30AM, Joe got up just after 6:00, and we were running shortly before 6:30. He stuck with me for the first 10 miles, which helped so much namely because I really needed motivation to get started. It's always easier when you're with a buddy, especially on long runs.


We were at the Ford Plantation near Savannah, Georgia. Prior to arriving on Friday, I attempted to map out my run, but I couldn't seem to find enough road to make up anything interesting. We learned upon arrival that the cart path on the golf course is accessible to runners, there is a 2+ mile levee/dike/dyke/slave-built bridge connecting each end of the plantation, and that there are 13 miles of road. With some creativity, dodging of horse apples, and swinging through a few holes of the golf course a couple of times, 17.03 miles were complete. At a good training pace, might I add! 8:51 per mile.

And then, I got hair-sprayed, airbrushed, and fake eyelashes.


Oh yeah, and I drank champagne all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment