Sep 30, 2013

What now?

The first month of school was like no other in the previous 6 years I've spent teaching. I've been trying to energize lackadaisical colleagues, prepare my students, their parents, the school, and myself for the annual visit from our German guests, keeping said guests happy for two weeks, and winding down training for the Chicago Marathon. Oh, and there's that whole teaching thing. Oh, and trying my best to maintain a pleasant disposition at home.

As of yesterday, the Germans are gone. I assisted them through check-in at the airport, watched them file through security, and suddenly felt confused. What do I do with myself now?

The short-term answer was to gorge on chicken chunks and beer at Swig. As soon as I was feeling all fat and slightly tipsy, though, I was lost again.

I didn't run today. It probably would have done me some good, but I woke up with serious GI issues so I opted for rest and recovery. Somehow, I still felt high-strung and confused. I re-watched Grey's Anatomy and Siberia to calm my head to no avail. My innate knack for being a good wife usually does me good--cleaning the house gives me peace. I washed bedding and towels, vacuumed, did dishes, mowed the lawn, cleaned countertops, scooped litter boxes, and refreshed the kitty dishies. Still, I am feeling unfulfilled.

My GI issues seem to have subsided, at least for now. Will beer calm my nerves? Some farfalle and marinara? Do I need to bust out the P90X yoga routine? If I resort to that, put me into a straight jacket.

I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and run.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had the chicken at Swig yet! I am in love with their Reuben and can't stray from it!

    ReplyDelete