Jan 18, 2012

Small plates

The past week in our kitchen has been very tasty.  For a few months, I have wanted to try my hand at Brussels sprouts, which I think I had never even eaten before.  They turned out pretty yummy, in my opinion, but I am not so sure that Joe was into them.  It was really easy to make them.  Here's the recipe:

1 lb. Brussels sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
1 small onion, diced (shallot is preferred)
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chicken stock
3 strips low sodium bacon
cracked black pepper to taste

Chop the bacon, then fry in a saute pan it until crisp.  Remove bacon to a paper towel and drain fat from the pan.  Add olive oil to the pan and cook the onions until they are translucent.  Add the sprouts, give them a stir, and cook for about 2 minutes.  Then, add the chicken stock and black pepper.  Once the stock begins to simmer, cover the pan and turn down the heat.  Cook the sprouts for about 7 minutes.  Remove the lid, add the bacon, and serve!  We had them with chicken breasts coated in a mild garlic paste and a salad of romaine with radishes and walnuts.  I'll definitely make them again, but I think in a much lighter recipe.  The chicken broth made them taste a little more, I dunno, bold than what I wanted.  And although I've been more open to using bacon fat lately, I am still not totally into using straight-up bacon in a dish that isn't bacon-centric.

It seems like the new big thing is quinoa, so yesterday I gave in and made some.  I REALLY liked that.  Here's what you'll need:

1 cup organic quinoa
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 small white onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 T oregano
1/2 T chili powder
1/2 T cumin
juice of 1/2 lime

In a medium sauce pot, cook the white onion and carrot with the olive oil until soft.  Add the quinoa and vegetables, then give it all a stir.  Add the chicken stock, oregano, chili powder, and cumin.  When the stock begins to simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, remove the lid, add in the lime juice, give it a stir, and serve.  Fortunately, it's really good freshly cooked and warm, but I think it's even BETTER cold.

There will definitely be more quinoa served in this house--one cup is plenty for two people to eat for three days.  Plus, I think it could be fun to try quinoa with flavors other than southwest.  When I do make it "southwesty" again, I will be sure to add cilantro.  I had intended to do that this time, but I screwed up when I went to the grocery store.

Have you experimented with quinoa?  Please, share with me any delicious ways to use the...uh...whatever quinoa is.

No comments:

Post a Comment