Jan 12, 2012

Things I don't understand

Okay, so I've apparently rattled a few people with this post.  Since that wasn't my intent at all and I don't like to hurt any feelings, I'll just remove what came across as douchey and say that Facebook has been blowing up with photos of babies and it makes me feel weird.

Expensive wine.  I really enjoy wine.  As a Christmas gift this year, we scored a wine fridge that holds 12 bottles at once.  When I fill up that fridge (or as it were in the past, when I filled up the wine racks), I try really hard to only buy bottles between $6.99 and $9.99.  If I see something super awesome not to exceed $15, I splurge.  A colleague of mine once turned up his nose at me (not in a rude way) after I told him that I think any bottle of wine more than $15 isn't worth it.  He told me that I obviously don't understand what good wine is.  Well, buddy, I have had expensive wine.  Joe and I have on a number of occasions purchased bottles costing nearly $200.  Not to say we didn't enjoy them, but we've never said, "Wow!  This is so different from what we usually drink!"  Nope--instead, we usually say, "Yep, it's good.  It's wine."  To say I don't understand what good wine is, well, that's silly.  I feel that wine is good if I can drink half of the bottle.  I can think of one time when I drank a glass and said, "Ugh, never buying that one again."  I guess to stuffy people, "good wine" makes you feel like you are sitting in a smelly cafe in France, or maybe in a Heurige in Austria, or even doing a cheesy wine tour in California.  But even in Germany, the land of delicious wines, the Germans themselves think it's ridiculous to burn a hole in your pocket for a bottle of wine.  I'll stick to choosing based off of how cool the label looks.

Chinese.  I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment