Jun 29, 2012

The other benefits

Fact: Running is really, really good for you.  In the year since I started running, I have felt better physically and mentally than in a very long time.  I had been pretty sure of the improvements, but they weren't totally confirmed until I was in my post-marathon slump.  I was barely running 20 miles per week and as a result was tired, eating a lot of junk, and even a little bit on-edge.  I even felt guilty and resentful because I wasn't running enough.  Now that I've got a goal (the Columbus Marathon), I'm disciplined and feeling great again.

The obvious benefits are pretty objective.  Compared to non-runners, runners have:

  • Higher levels of good cholesterol
  • Increased lung function
  • Boosted immune system
  • Lower risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis
  • Less stress
  • Improved mood

That list could probably go on a lot longer, but you get the gist I think.  How about the title of this blog post, though?  What do I mean by "the other benefits"?

After I woke up this morning, I pet the cats and watched the news for a few minutes, made the bed, put on my running gear, took the Browns to the Super Bowl, drank some water, then ran four miles (cut me some slack--at 5:30 it was already 77 degrees with 78% humidity).  I came home and cleaned the garage, watered our flowers, did my best Paul Bunyan impression on some tree roots, and staked some landscape border into the ground.  Inside, I changed the AC filter, did a little laundry, and washed the dishes.  I went upstairs and showered.  When I got out of the shower, the bathroom clock (which runs something like 5 minutes fast--I sync it with the bedroom clock, but somehow it always ends up way ahead) read 7:53.

It wasn't even 8:00AM and I had already completed what I know most people won't get done in an entire day.  What the heck does running have to do with it?  I'd insert a flow chart, but we haven't yet got Microsoft Office installed onto our new lappy, so you've just got to read:

I woke up at 4:45 to run at 5:30, which means that I probably got a solid one to two-hour head start on your average, non-running/exercising Joe-Shmoe.  Aerobic activity gets lots of energy going inside of you AND it makes your endorphins crazy-happy.  Right at the end of a work-out, even if you work the crap out of yourself (perhaps literally), you are likely going to want to be super productive.  On the daily, I take advantage of all of that energy and as a result, I always get tons of stuff done before the neighbors are even awake.  In the summertime, that means that I have the entire day to listen to Covino & Rich and NPR, take naps, loiter at the running shop, read about roller coasters online, and shop for cat toys.  During the school year, it means that I get to work and bounce off of the walls all day long.  Ahem, with a little help from a nonfat latte once I start to crash.  The point is that it's because I get up and run that I get as much stuff done every day as I do.

How does exercising affect your productivity?  And to backtrack, how do you feel when you don't get in that workout as compared to when you do?

2 comments:

  1. Several things:
    1. I get it. It makes me feel SO ACCOMPLISHED. And having the goal works and helps with the motivation.
    2. I love that you also call your computer the "lappy". Makes me feel good that I am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exercising definitely affects my day! There's no way I could power through each day, chasing after two kids under 3, if I didn't. There are days where my schedule is jam packed. If I don't get out and get active, I get grumpy (I'm sure my husband can attest to that! LOL). Also, if I don't exercise and keep active throughout the day I start to "crash" mid-day and I find myself bored and craving foods that I do not need to be craving! My productivity drops to an all time low. Not good. Exercise & good nutrition is just a way of life for me & it's part of my day to day routine. I live for my daily "me" time to de-stress and work up a good sweat. I live for that post-workout endorphin high where you can feel like you can do anything! I love that by exercising daily and leading a healthy lifestyle I'm not only doing something to better myself, but I'm setting a good example for my children, family, friends, and those around me. Hopefully, encouraging them to do the same so that they can reap all of the awesome benefits!

    Thanks for writing this post, Krista. I really enjoyed it! I completely agree with you 100%. Congratulations on signing up for your second marathon & good luck with your training! You're going to absolutely rock it! :)

    ReplyDelete