Nov 19, 2013

Ain't Nobody Got Time for That.

"I don't have time to work out."

If you run, cycle, P90X, or do any other fitness routine odds are good that someone has played that card on you. I hear it too often. In full disclosure, the Krista from the past is even guilty of using it in defense of her laziness. Every time I hear it I struggle with how to respond.

Sure you do. Do you mean to tell me that your hands are tied from the moment you wake up until you lay your head back onto your pillow? I avoid this route because it's based on assumption. Maybe my friends are occupied all day. They wake up with just the right amount of time to do all of the requisite tooth-brushing, breakfast eating, peeing and pooping, driving to work, being productive, eating lunch, driving home, cooking dinner, eating dinner, showering (unless the commute was slow and ate that time slot--sacrifices, man), and getting back into bed to start all over. How should I expect them to have time for fitness when they don't even have time for wiping their butts?

Oh, are you suggesting that I spend my days doing unimportant work and sitting in front of the television, just waiting for time to pass? It's kind of true. I mean, I have a job that allows me to show up whenever I want and slip out the door whenever I've had enough for the day. Because my life is so flexible that sometimes I wake up at like, 8:00AM and go for a leisurely hour run, then I shower, get dressed, and sip on some Chai while watching Kathy and Hoda until I feel like driving to work. If I don't get that run in the morning, I just leave work at a time that will allow me to run before the sun goes down. Afterwards I shower, slip into some pajamas, and watch Dancing with the Stars because hey, I've got nothing better to do.

I used to say that, then I decided that my health and fitness level are really important to me. Do you brush your teeth every day? Wash your hands after going to the potty? Eat a couple of meals? Yes? Yes? Yes? So do I, and all of that stuff is just important for me as running is. I make time for doing all of those routine things. Running is part of the routine.

I'm confident that it's true about most adults: We've got a lot of stuff on our plates. We wake up early, we work hard, and we are tired at least some of the time. For a lot of people I think it's as easy as this:

1.) Prioritize fitness. Just like you don't want your teeth to rot, the rest of your body shouldn't either.
2.) Wake up a little earlier. The energy gained from exercise trumps that lost by a shorter night's sleep.
3.) Make sacrifices. You can watch Dancing with the Stars later on Hulu.

How do you make time to work out? Where does it fit into your routine? What are other excuses you've heard to not exercise?

2 comments:

  1. I have had a hard time with this lately. Finding the time to workout has been lost to couch time and junk food.
    I thought you were a teacher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a teacher! I was just being overly facetious. Really I wake up between 4:30 and 5:00, maybe poop, run, shower, dry my hair, get dressed, and I'm on my way to work by 6:45. No breakfast. Maybe a smoothie or Starbucks. Mornings are crunch time for me.

      Truth be told, many mornings since the Chicago Marathon I've chosen to reset the alarm. On those days I just force myself to run once I'm home from work even if it's a 12-hour day. The pleasure I experience after the run is way better than the guilt when I don't run.

      Delete