Nov 14, 2013

OK, I'm a Runner. I'm Not Over It.

Just one day ago the Wall Street Journal published an editorial from some guy who is really annoyed. He doesn't like it that runners slap magnets onto the backs of their cars and share their accomplishments on social media. Running stores and reflective apparel seem to perplex him. We are a self-absorbed bunch and he's sick of us talking about ourselves.

In one day's time two rebuttal editorials have appeared; one pokes fun at the dude's anger and the other defends us; albeit with a snarky tone. I appreciate the original writer's bitterness, but of course I don't see eye-to-eye with him. Also, I've committed all of the offenses that he loathes.

When I started running I had Endomondo set up to automatically post my workouts to Facebook. After my first half marathon I drove straight to the local running shop to buy a 13.1 magnet and then 26.2 the afternoon after my first marathon. I wear technical tees, shorts, tights, compression sleeves, and hats that reflect headlights with a blinding glow. I really like to talk about how I ran in any given race.

The only point the guy made that I understand as at least slightly annoying is social media brags. When I first took up running I had Endomondo set up to automatically post my workouts onto Facebook. When I ditched the app for a Garmin so ended sharing stats from every run. Still, I occasionally posted about how good it felt to run 8 miles before most people were awake or finally running 5 miles in under 40 minutes. When I run marathons my splits post to Facebook. Just a couple of days ago I asked the world of Twitter for input on my next 26.2-mile race.

Do I want people to notice? Yes! But not for a pat on the back--although anyone who runs farther in one day than many people drive deserves it if not a beer or two. I do it because I want someone else to want to experience what I do when I run. I started running because I had friends posting that same kind of stuff to Facebook; they encouraged me to switch from thinking "It would be nice if I could do that" to "It's time to start doing that."

Running is awesome. People who run are awesome. When I pass a car with 13.1 or 26.2 on the back I immediately have more respect for the driver, even if he's driving like an idiot. I like it when I spot real running shoes and race shirts. Keep it up, runners. It's nice to inspire people.

1 comment:

  1. I bought my magnets the day BEFORE the race because I wanted to slap that baby on right when the race finished and that is exactly what I did.
    I LOVE seeing the magnets/stickers on other cars, I like seeing my fellow Toledo runners out and about.

    ReplyDelete