Jan 31, 2018

I'm too busy.

JUST KIDDING. I'm not too busy. Not for you. Never for you.

If you catch me saying any of the following phrases or a derivative thereof, kick me in the shins:

"I'm too busy."
"I have a lot going on."
"I wish I had the time."

To me, they demonstrate an unwillingness to say what you really mean. Here, I'll translate all three into one statement:

"That's not important to me."

Before you react, breathe. Think about it. Isn't that what we mean when we tell someone that we're too busy, have other priorities, or are unwilling to make the time to do something?

I bet that many if not every runner has heard it--"I'd run if I had enough free time."

I do have said free time. Because I make it. Like, sometimes I get three hours of sleep. Sometimes I make dinner at 9:00 PM. Sometimes I'm like, "Joe, let's get some pizza." I make sacrifices (sleep, meals at normal times, and healthy foods) because running is important to me.

Maybe you don't run. If that's the case, then replace "run" with some other activity that you do love. We're all adulting. Adulting is a little different for everyone. The next time that adulting takes priority over something else, by golly, say that. Or challenge yourself--MAKE that "something else" a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment