Feb 4, 2018

Dave's Spring MIT 2018 - Week Five

Another week of training is done. Way to go, guys! Here's what we did:

M: 6 miles (easy)
T: 5x1000 (threshold)
W: 5 miles (easy)
Th: 7 miles (2-6 at race pace)
F: Rest
Sa: 12 (easy)
Su: Rest

The long run was fun. And exceptionally paced by Joe. We committed to The Flock that long runs will be at a 9:30 pace and Joe's Garmin data shows an average of 9:28 for the 12 miles.

Why so slow, you may ask? Because that's the plan. I like rules and I'm a team-player, and so if the training philosophy is to run this particular volume of weekly miles including the long run at an easy pace of 30 to 60 seconds slower than race pace, then by golly, sign me up.

I didn't always feel this way, though. Truth be told, it still isn't my preferred style of training. BUT I get it. The first time I coached MIT, back in 2016, I begrudgingly ran 16 weeks of long runs at a 9:30 pace at our absolute fastest. For four months, I pretended that I believed in the plan as to not undermine our leadership at Dave's. And then on race day, it somehow all worked out. Heck, I even ran a PR. And then another PR a month later. So like, it works.

Trust the training!

No comments:

Post a Comment